Search Service Application stuck on Starting

Hi Guys,

I was facing a very strange issue since two three days. I just wasted lot of my time while solving it. After experiencing SharePoint 2013 service architecture, I was under the impression that MS have modified SharePoint this time that one will never face any issue while configuring the service applications.

But I was wrong, I am talking about the Search service application here. If you are lucky then it may be the case that you will not see this issue but I wasn't actually explored the reason behind the issue.

Issue Description:

  1. “Unable to retrieve topology component health states. This may be because the admin component is not up and running.”

  2. The default content source “Local SharePoint Sites” is inconsistent. It doesn’t always appear after creation of Search, sometimes with start addresses of existing web apps listed already, other times not.

  3. Starting a full crawl results in stuck in ‘starting’.


                       ssa-bad

Tried Solutions:

  1.  Installed all hotfixes by following this post.

  2. Configure the Noderunner by following this post.


Solution:

I got disappointment after trying above solutions. Then one of my colleague helped my out finding the worked solution. Then I released that we are the same .Net developers having dependency on SQL server. I ran following script to fix the database issues and that worked for me. I am sharing queries as below:

EXEC sp_resetstatus 'WSS_Content'
ALTER DATABASE WSS_Content SET EMERGENCY
DBCC checkdb('WSS_Content')
ALTER DATABASE WSS_Content SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE
DBCC CheckDB ('WSS_Content', REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS)
ALTER DATABASE [WSS_Content]  SET MULTI_USER

NOTE: Please change the name of the database. By default sharepoint creates the database with the name Wss_Content but make sure that you have this database in the SQL server. Other way to find the content database is navigate to Central Admin > Application management > Content Database.

I would like to mention one more important point here that you should execute these queries one after another. Because It may hours to fix the content database depending upon the size of the database.

Note: Don't Execute commands in one shot

You defiantly will get success like me :)

ssa-good

Happy Sharepointing :)

Comments

  1. Hi
    Can you explain a bit more what was the purpose of this query and what promoted you to create this query, mean the root cause of the problem etc.

    Because you are running a query in SharePoint Db which should not be touched as MS suggest so strongly I think we need to know what we are performing here.

    BR

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna,

    Really appreciated your concerns, Please find your answers as below:
    1) "what was the purpose of this query": To Repair the database and allow data loss.
    2) "What promoted you to create this query": The search service was not configuring on the server which promoted me to use this query.

    This query does not alter anything from the SP DB except below command:
    DBCC CheckDB (‘WSS_Content’, REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS)

    Command written above executes and repairs the database losses. Thatz all.

    Let me know if still you need clarification.

    Regards
    Mohit Vashishtha

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hide Ribbon on SharePoint 2013 using CSS

Get Comment Count in SharePoint

Configure external site as content sources in sharepoint search